Monday, March 16, 2009

To Hide Flaws Go Seek Some Amazing, Inexpensive Concealer


I love inexpensive products that work well. Especially inexpensive makeup that works just as well, if not better, than department store makeup. I came across the discount bin in CVS the other day (and yes, I looked in the discount bin and you know you do too probably hoping you find an accidentally discounted and clearly misplaced tub of La Mer...) and picked up Physicians Formula Conceal Rx Physicians Strength Concealer (phew) for $2.49. Not because I needed it. No, no. I have enough concealer to camouflage the dark under-eye circles of a small nation of online gamers with a relative population matching, say, that of China. The official website says it usually retails for $8.75. That's a deep 71% discount math majors. More importantly, I have to try everything. Whenever I see things discounted, I really have to wonder why they aren't selling? At $2.49, I really wasn't expecting any miracles. So, on with my morning routine and I'm using this stuff and I find that I'm quite impressed. But we all know that the true test of makeup is how long it lasts. By golly it did. I'm out of the house at 7 AM and not back till 5:30 PM and this stuff is still going....until I wash off my makeup at 10:30 PM (and I still look fresh and wide-eyed with no reapplication whatsoever.) It seriously competes with MAC Select Cover-Up at $15.50. The thing about MAC Select Cover-Up is that the consistency is quite fluid. Physicians Formula is thicker so you're not layering your concealer. Layering isn't a bad thing, but I just don't have time for it. MAC Select has it's advantages though: fuller range of colors; can be used under or over foundation and...yeah, that's about it actually. You'll do well to use a primer or line-filler so that any concealer you're using isn't settling into the laugh lines around your eyes (that's right, I said laugh lines! because no one here frowns). I personally think certain concealers go under foundation and other concealers go over foundation. Physicians Formula Rx definitely goes under foundation because it's an industrial strength foundation and the color should be brought back to match your face coloring with the foundation. There's also Soft Green and Soft Yellow for more targeted issues. I'm thinking about picking up another tube. Or two. Or fifteen.... Have you used MAC Select Cover-Up or Physicians Formula Conceal Rx? Let me know what you think! Happy concealing!

7 comments:

  1. what shade do you prefer in this product for you skin?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was wondering the same thing. There are only two shades available. Do you use the natural light one?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've used select cover up and I'm not really impressed.I've very young (only 17) however I have serious black circles under my eyes from studying late plus serious veining.covering that area has always been a problem of mine especially when the rest of my face is pretty clean (some minor acne scarring and maybe 1 or 2 spots but that's it) so I don't need a full coverage foundation but I do need a more full coverage concealer...When it's done I think I'm gonna go with studio fix...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the the RX cover up.. I came across it the same way on a sale..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Nur...I went to my very first CVS last night. OH. MY. GOD. I swear there were little elves under the floor and every time I thought i had seen all the health and beauty, they rolled in some new isle that I SWEAR I never saw! I have this thing tho about make up. I went for about 10 years wearing like Cover Girl or whatever was super cheap and just doing the same thing as I did in high school. Then I started noticing that there were these women who had the most AMAZING things going on with their eye makeup. You could see no flaws, and there were all these different colors that were all beautifully blended in so you couldn't even tell where one color began or the other one ended! Apparently this miracle of modern makeup is called "The Smokey Eye" LOL. Have I learned how to do it yet? HELL TO THE NO!!! I don't know what it is ya'll do to make that happen but I own about a gajillion eyeshadows and brushes and can't even come CLOSE! Anyway, point is, about 3 years ago My then fiance took me to the "big" city (Roseville, CA) and my sister in law to be took me to this church like place where I had what could only be described as a "Religious
    Experience" This shangri-la that I speak of was called "The Galleria at Roseville" *Cue the choir now" OK, seriously tho, I was getting married so I said enough is enough I need to know WHAT makeup I nedd for THIS skin coloring, eyes, etc. and I needed to look modern, trendy, and young, but not 13. No more Black eyeliner under the lashline only and no more high shimmer eyeshadow that I swear was the exact color of my lid so you didn't really even see it! Blush so wrong it can only be called Blehhhhhhsh, and Wet n Wild lipstick in Warm Brown. Yep that was me. Every day. *sigh* I had NEVER known of or used bronzer or brow powder. Just those 2 things alone made such a difference I swear I thought I could work any runway, lol! OK jeez I ramble, what the hell! Point...I was getting married and wanted to start looking my best. The first place we hit was the makeup section at Nordstrom. OMGosh. I had the MOST fun bouncing around from counter to counter letting the gay makeup artists work me over and deciding which ones I liked the best and wouldn't require financing! The BEST 2 things I learned, and I learned more that day than in 17 years of formal schooling, to choose 2 is very hard. But the 2 things I will take with me every day of my life is 1. I will NEVER live without Bobbi Brown eye corrector. It is like a magic eraser that I can't believe I didn't know about. Now when I say that I have dark circles, believe what I say, then times it by bazillion. If you check out my blog I will be posting them in the near future.
    2. The Bobbi Brown bronzer compact, the one with the stripes and the highlighter is the top whitish color. This product I havent seen anyone review or use, what it does for me is priceless. Honestly? I'm no Heidi Klum but I do have people stop me in the aisle of stores to compliment my complexion which in reality is just so-so. So while I would love to save $20, a tank of gas and 5 hours of driving (yes I order online too) lol I just can't chance it. Although I have grown bored of my clinique foundation and am now looking for a beauty blender like AS WE SPEAK to try out my newly purchased MAYBELELLINE AGE REWIND RADIANT FIRMING liquid foundation. I am completely obsessed with my skin and getting lines and well, getting old. I figure if I start now maybe I will finish nicely :-)

    OK, that is my huge, jumbly, all over the place comment about what concealer I use:-) If you happen to read this maybe you can let me know some places that carry the beauty blender?
    Thanks! Take Care!

    Misty
    www.canyouhearmistynow.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a question about primer please? Can you use face primer as eye primer for under eyes before applying concealer? Yes I do get laugh lines when I put on concealer and that's not good at all.....Please help..........

    ReplyDelete