Sunday, July 19, 2009

The Perfect Line Everytime

The liquid eyeliner trick is something that will help you perfect the shape of your eyeliner. All it really does is allow you to focus on drawing the eyeliner that will show without having to worry about drawing the line close enough to your lash line. When eyeliner isn't drawn close enough to the lash line it just looks so terrible. I made up this trick years ago on my own when all I cared about was the shape of my eyeliner (my trademark winged eyeliner). I figured, ok, put liquid eyeliner on quickly without worrying about neatness. Then when it's dry, I can go in and focus on drawing my line with a kohl liner. When people ask how I get my eyeliner shaped liked that, this is my number one tip- but you won't know how well it works until you try it. If you don't have a steady hand, anchor your arm somewhere- sit your hand gently on your face, or pile up folded towels in front of a mirror and rest your elbow on them. I know it sounds silly, but it takes away from the fear that you might end up looking like Jack Sparrow.

I start by drawing from the outside edge of my lash line towards the middle while holding my eye taut. The outside of the line is always thicker so it's easier to fix if I happen to draw a sloppy line. It's much more important to be steady as I'm drawing the line towards the inner corner of my eye. The last thing I do is go back to the outer edge and draw the tip past the outer edge. And voila! you're done! Watch it in action:




MAC Kohl Eyeliner is the best eyeliner I've ever used. The color I buy, Smolder, is a beautiful dark black that doesn't tug on the eyelid and goes on very smoothly. It's not an "eyeliner" exactly- it's a kohl liner which is more rich in color and smoother in texture than an eyeliner. I like my liner a little more slippery because the eye area is so delicate and it's important to be gentle!

My picks:

MAC Kohl Liner in Smolder
Maybelline Waterproof Liquid Eyeliner in Black
Revlon Colorstay Eyeliner in Black

4 comments:

  1. I used to wear Kohl Liner in Smolder as well, but it would smear all over and I would end up with raccoon eyes by the end of the day. So I switched to the pencil (MAC) thinking that maybe the Kohl one was too creamy, but I'm having the same problem. Either it smears or I end up with a line across my eyelid. Any ideas as to what I could do to avoid this? (and it's not that my skin is oily...that's not it) Thanks in advance!

    ReplyDelete
  2. how interesting... my technique is exactly opposite from this. I Line my eye with penicl and then use liquid only for the wing tip. I'd like to try your way out and see how I like it though! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous-try going over your liner with the same color eyeshadow using a tiny brush. It "sets" your eyeliner just like using a translucent powder "sets" your foundation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're gorgeous, very gorgeous and love the placement of your blush.


    Do visit my blog when you have time http://blushfully.blogspot.com

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete