Monday, August 30, 2010

Brush It Off

I know, I know. Why the hell am I talking about the Clarisonic when it's old news. Neanderthals reviewed it in wall etchings. (What would we call that- not blogged....rocked?) Just hear me out.
I wasn't really sure what I was going to think about the Clarisonic when I first used it. I've had it for many months now; a product sent for consideration. I wanted one ever since I read the rave reviews about it, but I never wanted to fork over the money. Or spoon it over, or knife it over or even spork it over. There are a million other things I could think to spend $225 on. But, I will say, that having had the experience, I'm a believer....I couldn't leaver her if I tried. ♫

The first test of whether the Clarisonic does anything is to figure out if it removes more makeup than my own hands can. Every time I try my hardest to wash off my makeup, the Clarisonic ALWAYS manages to find makeup I missed. And to think, so many nights I went to sleep believing my face was actually clean.

I'm a fan of using "tools" to help with cleansing (see article on complexion pad: Can't Live Without It). I'm already aware that these tools do more than I can ever accomplish with just my little homo sapien fingers. But I will say the Clarisonic does it more thoroughly and gentler than a complexion pad.

I can definitely verify the claim that the Clarisonic preps skin to receive treatments better. I use an AHA numerous times a week, and for those of you that have any experience with AHA's, you know that that stuff just doesn't sink in. And although it's not completely absorbed after using the Clarisonic, it is significantly more absorbed- enough to make sleeping with it on my face much MUCH more tolerable.

Here's my DUH point: Any sort of exfoliation will make your skin feel smooth, so of course the Clarisonic does that too.

If you're interested in trying the Clarisonic, here are tips to keep in mind:
  • Save yourself a lot of money and buy the Calrisonic Mia. I don't follow the timer on the Clarisonic Plus anyway. I'm 25, I don't need a "beep" to tell me where to clean my face next.
  • Consider buying it on QVC where you can pay in more affordable installments (better than paying by credit card and incurring the interest on it).
  • I have a sensitive brush head and that's perfect for me. Want more abrasive exfoliation? Press harder.
  • I still have the same brush head. I cleanse it well and disinfect it quite often to keep it in shape.
  • You should be moisturizing nightly anyhow, but it is even more imperative when you're doing this much exfoliation. Lessen the frequency of exfoliation if you have dry skin.
  • I always use something to take off my makeup: wipe, makeup removing cleanser, cold cream, etc. I then use the Clarisonic with a very mild cleanser like Cetaphil (or the cheaper Up & Up version of it at Target). Using a cleanser with salicylic acid, benzoyl peroxide, or exfoliating beads is going to irritate your skin so bad it'll denounce you as its owner and tell you you're sleeping on the couch tonight. Umm, I mean....it'll get really red and irritated.
Now I know what the era acronym B.C. really stands for: Before Clarisonic.

I'd love to hear what you think of it. Especially if you don't like it. Write on!

17 comments:

  1. Your first paragraph had me ROFL! One of the offices I used to work in used Lotus Notes. I always joked about how we might as well be chipping messages in stone. XD It was a huge corporation, too. Who the heck doesn't use Outlook?

    Your review is great! I received a Clairsonic as a gift, and liked it. However, I don't think I would have ever purchased one on my own because of the price. :(

    I wish I could get my hands on a microdermabrasion kit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are happy to hear that you are liking your Clarisonic. If you ever have questions about your product we're here to help. Find us on Twitter @Clarisonic or via email info@clarisonic.com. We'd love to hear any feedback you have. Let us know. Happy Cleansing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for this! like your review. think i'd like to try it out... do you know how much it is in pounds?

    Monica xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. For the past year and a half ive sat there reading every review possible and still was like, "do i really wanna fork out 150 bucks on this" but after your review, i feel the need to get this peice of technology lol i'm going to take your word for it and give it a shot...and if i don't like it, im coming after you Nur :p

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Kate Gene- LOL! Agree on the price, but I just love it to death!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Monica- Hey! I'm not sure what the price is in pounds- a quick Google search will tell you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Neve86- Haha, well then, I hope you REALLY like it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Nur! I always wanted to try the Clarisonic but like you I didn't want to pay that much money for something that may or may not work. So I did my research and found a cheaper alternative which is the iSkin that I bought at Sally's Beauty Supply for under $30. It's the same concept as the Clarisonic where it has a detachable brush head and has two different speeds. It's battery operated and I find that it does a magnificent job at removing any dirt/makeup that my makeup wipes didn't remove. I use a gentle cleanser with the iSkin and follow with a toner then a moisturizer. Before the iSkin, I would see traces of dirt/makeup on my cotton ball when I applied the toner. Now after using the iSkin, this is no longer the case. I hope this helps for others who are looking for a cheaper alternative to the Clarisonic.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hy Nur,


    Just bought my clarisonic for the second time because the first time I think the normal brush on high speed was too abrasive for my skin and I ended up returning it to Sephora. I got my new one from QVC with the installment plan which is way affordable and I didn't have to pay any duty to get it to Canada which is a definite plus!

    What do you use to clean and sterilize your brush head?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Would love to try this but it's just too expensive, I've got the Neutrogena Wave Duo instead which was £9.99 and it leaves me sking feeling really soft and smooth afterwards so that'll have to do for now! xx

    http://librakitten.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. lovely ; ) your blog is really interesting :)


    if you want follow me :* <3

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nur does the brush on the clarisonic "spin" or just vibrate?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just got a pink Clairsonic Mia for $149.99 /w free shipping from AspenLeafSpa.com.

    http://www.aspenleafspa.com/product.php?id=20

    I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. holy shit...u r my go to guru for product reviews...thank u for sharing your thoughts and double thank you for sharing the helpful tips when using the clarisonic. you are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. u r too hilarious!!! i swear i need u in my life everyday!! post more... i need the laughs!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just started watching you on youtube and reading your blog-you're funny, beautiful, and smart. A deadly combination!:D Can you please tell me how you disinfect your clarisonic? I have been using a small dish and letting my brush head sit in witch hazel and then doing the baby shampoo deep clean 1/week.

    ReplyDelete